Sunday, August 5, 2012

Put on Your Dancing Shoes

We are quickly coming up on the two-year anniversary of my eldest brother's death. These last few days I have been missing Carl, who lost his battle with cancer. I'm happy that he's not suffering here anymore, but I don't think the sadness of losing a loved one ever really goes away. I just keep reminding myself that he's somewhere hanging out with Dad, who died 12 years ago, and Gramma, who passed 6 years ago, and they are probably having a grand time together. I also know that someday I will see them again.

Today I got to thinking about what items I would choose if I could "take it with me when I go." Here's what I came up with:


  • Carl's guitar so he could play me something fun and upbeat.
  • Dad's banjo so he could play along with Carl. The two of them used to sit down and play together often and the rest of us would sing along. 
  • Dancing shoes for Gramma. She was a spry little lady and would go out dancing with her boyfriend even into her 70s.
  • A cherry-red '65 convertible Mustang for me to take all of them for a joy-ride.

Wow! I feel cheerier already. I think I'll go turn on some old-time music, close my eyes and dance with my Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment